Tuesday, February 7, 2017

The Personal Touch (Terrie Williams)

Dear Friends and Complete and Total Strangers!

In 1996, I was working at Borders Bookshop when this book by Terrie Williams came out. She was a publicist for the then much more respected Bill Cosby and other celebrities. I had the pleasure of seeing her read from this book and years later at Robin's bookstore when she had another book, this one about black women and depression.
Anyway, today for my birthday, I was responding to each of the many (and growing in number) well wishes from my friends network here at Facebook. I simply copied and pasted "Thank you very much!" followed by a link to my CD storefront at CD Baby.
I thought nothing of pasting this one after another after another.
Then I realized this was impersonal and cold, and would likely have the opposite effect of making people feel good, and then they would have the opposite desire to buy my music.
But if I gave them "The Personal Touch" of my individual attention and acknowledgment, they would feel good, period and end of story.
It's when people like you or feel good around you that they then have an interest in learning more about you and in supporting you.
I don't want to come off as if I'm just using people for their attention to and financial support of my work. If I do that, it's showing that I believe in scarcity - I'm coming from a place of lack, unhappiness, and worry.
But if just do the right thing to begin with, I will feel good and so will everyone else around me.
 The good thing about doing the right thing is that it feels good just doing it. You don't then look for a benefit after.
 Now that I'm taking my time to reply personally to everyone, I feel good. And I'm not thinking about music sales, because I know they will come, when people are interested. And the only way that will happen is if I'm interested in them, AND if I'm really passionate about what I'm doing.
 This is why my writings garner so much positive attention, because I am really passionate about what I'm writing, and I am genuinely interested in people, in that I want my writing to uplift, inspire, energize, and comfort them.
 When I'm focused on that, everything else is extra.
 Terrie says the personal touch is very important, even down to memorizing how someone's name is spelled.
I'm glad I remembered this book, and went back and deleted those initial responses, adding new ones that are personal, so that people feel more special and important. Because people are important.
You are important. And the personal touch conveys that!

-- 
Make yourself a beautiful day!

Cassendre Xavier

"renaissance negresse"

$15,000 Leeway Transformation Award-Winning musician, writer, and community cultural arts organizer.

Founder & Executive Director of the Black Women's Arts Festival (Est. 2003) and the Women's Writing & Spoken Word Series (Est. 2002).

Official website: http://cassEndrExavier.com

No comments:

Post a Comment