Wednesday, October 22, 2014

You Know You've Worked in a Lot of Bookstores When...

So I'm going over the LGBT books and considering buying "In Every Laugh a Tear" a novel by Leslea Newman. I'm at a used bookstore that is my day job. I work at two bookstores for pay and volunteer at another. I hold keys to all three. And I've worked in some capacity at three more different ones in this city.
 I open the book and it's inscribed, "For Cassendre - Zie Gezunt! - Leslea Newman". (Zie gezunt is Yiddish for "be healthy").
 I think this is a Law of Attraction moment because for weeks I've thought of Leslea, because she's one of the most prolific authors I know - from "Heather Has Two Mommies" to "A Letter to Harvey Milk" and many more.
 This book was signed the day I introduced her reading at Giovanni's Room LGBT bookstore. I spoke of how inspiring Leslea was and that I spent a lot of time looking up her multi-genre titles in Books in Print. I looked up other multi-genre prolific authors for inspiration in those days (mid 1990s), among my sheras were Diane Ackerman and Tee Corinne.
 Leslea, when she came up to speak about her latest book, said mine was the best introduction he had received. I was exceedingly as surprised as I was proud.
 My co-worker asked me when I showed her this book and said, "Open this..." She said, "You gave it away?" And I said, "I've moved so often." And it's true. A lover once pointed out I'd moved about 9 times in 15 years. And this was in 2008. I've moved at least 3 times in the last 3 years. And each time, I give away lots of books.
 But in the end, the ones that are meant to, return to me.

--

-- 
Make yourself a beautiful day!

Cassendre Xavier
(aka Amethyste Rah, aka Amrita Waterfalls)
“renaissance negresse & ARTrepreneur”
(musician/writer/actress/fine artist)
Leeway Transformation Award-Winning founder & executive director of the Black Women’s Arts Festival (Est. 2003) and the Women's Writing & Spoken Word Series (Est. 2002). 

No comments:

Post a Comment