Sunday, October 5, 2014

When Your Mentor Has Become Your Peer...Congratulations!

It is so fulfilling the day when you realize one of your mentors has become a peer. Congratulations on your years of work and growth!

Dear Friends,

I opened an email just now and received an email from someone I realized no longer is a mentor on the same level to me as before, when I discovered their work many years ago. I used to open and read those emails with eagerness, learning and being inspired to act similarly. I sought out their works elsewhere, and yearned to be more like them in my own actions in work as well in my relationships. 
 I realized I had outgrown their influence on me as a mentor, and at first I felt a little sad. Then, I realized I could be happy and proud for the change, for it represented my growth and progress. I also realized it had been many years, well over 10, that I had been this persun's mentee.
 So, now I'm happy. And I also realize I've been mentoring others, tjat I am always collecting more mentors, dead or alive, whether I know them and they know me and we're in a relationship of the typical sense or not, and that this person who used to be my mentor can still be my mentor - only a peer mentor. 
 There are so many ways to learn from and inspired by others. There are so many ways to improve our lives by watching those of people whose work, ethics, and personalities we wish to be more like. 
 The cycle never ends, people!
Get out there and live, mentor, be a mentee, enjoy learning, growing, and sharing, oh my! We'll all be the better for it. 
 Thank you and I, the renaissance negresse, approve this message!


[Pic: "We rise by lifting others." -Quote by Robert Ingersoll. Courtesy of the internets.]
--

-- 
Make yourself a beautiful day!

Cassendre Xavier
(aka Amethyste Rah, aka Amrita Waterfalls)
“renaissance negresse & ARTrepreneur”
(musician/writer/actress/fine artist)
Leeway Transformation Award-Winning founder & executive director of the Black Women’s Arts Festival (Est. 2003) and the Women's Writing & Spoken Word Series (Est. 2002). 

No comments:

Post a Comment