Friday, October 10, 2014

The Black Women's Arts Festival News October 2014

The Black Women's Arts Festival News

October 2014

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

1) LETTER FROM THE FOUNDER/DIRECTOR
2) CHANGE TO COMMERCIAL FOR-PROFIT STATUS
3) NOW PLANNING NEXT BWAF! (PHILLY 2015)
4) BWAF NOLA 2016 UPDATE
5) BWAF ON YOUTUBE
6) HELP US RECLAIM OUR BLOG 
7) FESTIVAL PLANNERS WANTED
8) STAY IN TOUCH WITH US


CONTENTS:

1) LETTER FROM THE FOUNDER/DIRECTOR
Dear Friends and longtime appreciators of The Black Women's Arts Festival (BWAF),

I am very happy to be greeting you again with an update about this wonderful, inclusive community event!
 I'd like to start by talking about "I" vs. "We". For the last year or so I've taken great care to use the word "we" wherever possible, for various reasons, including my admiration for similar arts initiatives with a vibrant staff. 
 However, recently I've decided to move to what's more comfortable for me and that is to say I, whether it's politically correct or not!
 Sometimes we are we and sometimes we are me and for a very long time, BWAF has been Cassendre Xavier. I'm not so sure there's anything wrong with that, and I believe when we accept the entire truth of our lives and circumstances, then we can create real change and improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if ironically by my saying "I" when I really mean "I", BWAF attracts a whole troup of people as impassioned about forwarding this cause, so that BWAF becomes a "We" in ways it hasn't been for several years.
 There are also lots of other similar arts initiatives that are run by one artist/consultant with a team of helpers, that is still an "I", depending on how you look at it.
 So, I hope going forward the change from saying "we" to "I" will show results all participants in the growth of BWAF will be proud of!
 There are many exciting updates I'm announcing today and others in the works. Please do stay tuned to be updated on the journey forward, onward and up!

In art and community,


Cassendre Xavier

Founder & Executive Director of The Black Women’s Arts Festival (Est. 2003)

Website: http://BWAFphilly.org  




2) CHANGE TO COMMERCIAL FOR-PROFIT STATUS
In the spirit of following my bliss, which as been the source of all my success as a multi-media artist and community cultural arts organizer, I have chosen to once again leave the nonprofit model for what I'm more comfortable with and rewarded by, business as I'm accustomed to and greatly enjoy doing. Since its inception in 2003, BWAF has been under Cassendre Xavier Enterprises, then the New Beginnings Nonprofit Incubator of Resources for Human Development, then Cassendre Xavier Enterprises again, then the Moonstone arts organization, and now Cassendre Xavier Enterprises again. While there are benefits to being a nonprofit organization, there are also drawbacks, and I've found there are benefits and drawbacks to every single endeavor or experience in life, so the key is to do what you love and only what you love (or what you must, in order to be able to do what you love). 
 Being a nonprofit never felt "right" to me. And I think it's time to explore the greater depths and levels of business with this exciting enterprise that is BWAF. Along the way, I know I will grow, learn, fail, and exceedingly prosper, because that is where my heart is and will remain.
  As of August 14, 2014, BWAF very amicably ended our partnership with Moonstone, and re-entered the commercial arts world as a for-profit under Cassendre Xavier Enterprises. I am confident this will prove a smart step for both entities going forward, and I look forward to reporting these positive updates in future announcements!

3) NOW PLANNING NEXT BWAF! (PHILLY 2015)
The next Black Women's Arts Festival will be Saturday & Sunday October 24th & 25th, 2015 at The Rotunda, 4014 Walnut St, Philadelphia, 19104. Being one year away means the planning has begun. I have been in regular contact with Gina Renzi, director of The Rotunda, potential BWAF organizers, and more that will be announced upon finalization. I am very looking forward to producing this event at one of the richest community cultural arts venues in the country!

4) BWAF NOLA 2016 UPDATE
There are only three (3) months until planning begins for New Orleans' first Black Women's Arts Festival! As stated in previous BWAF Newsletters, BWAF NOLA 2016 will begin production in January 2015 with myself and former BWAF Philly Creative Director Monica McIntyre. I look forward to writing updates about this exciting endeavor!

5) BWAF ON YOUTUBE
There are many exciting (I am really using that word a lot, sorry! --Or am I? Nope, not really sorry --- this IS all very "exciting"!) videos of Black Women's Arts Festival events on The YouTubes which you can enjoy by clicking thyself in the hereward direccione: http://bit.ly/BWAFYouTube. Oh, and tell your friends!

6) HELP US RECLAIM OUR BLOG 
Because the BWAF blog http://bwafphilly.blogspot.com login was never switched to a Gmail account, access to it is now lost. Does anyone know of a way to retrieve it? Any advice would be most appreciated!

7) FESTIVAL PLANNERS WANTED
Would you like to assist in the planning stages of BWAF Philly 2015?
Organizers are wanted to serve in the following capacities:
a) Volunteer Coordinator
b) Promotions
c) Advertising
d) Publishing 
e) Sidelines
g) Graphic Design

While these are not directly paying positions, there may be opportunities to earn income later in the year via various projects you may or may not be directly involved in. For now it's best to think of these positions as volunteer.
 If you'd like to discuss the possibilities further, please choose one of the contact methods listed below, or reply to this message.
 Thank you for your time and interest in The Black Women's Arts Festival!


8) STAY IN TOUCH WITH US

Business email: BWAFphilly(at)yahoo(at)com

Like us on Facebook:http://facebook.com/BWAFfanpage

Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/BWAFphilly

Join our official email list by sending a blank email to:

BWAFphilly-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

View our message archives at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BWAFphilly

Official URL: http://BWAFphilly.org 

Postal address: C.Xavier/BWAF, 4530 Baltimore Ave, Philadelphia, PA 19143-3705 USA







No comments:

Post a Comment