Sunday, October 19, 2014

Busy Writers: Write More with TV, Google Drive & Public Trans.! (book excerpt)

Dear Friends, 


Please enjoy this excerpt from a forthcoming CX book!


  1. Keep a notebook or notepad with you at all times. It doesn’t have to be large, but large enough to write more than a few sentences per writing period. Use this when you have a few minutes between activities, meetings, errands, etc. Write book outlines, quotes, notes of ideas you have for future projects, add to chapters of books you’re working on, poems, anything of any length. Date every entry. Use a special color of ink to differentiate these writings from anything else. These, after all, will be added to your manuscript(s) which will become book(s), recordings of your books, or material that will be included in your guided meditation/spiritual/personal growth/self-help recordings. It’s even better if the notebook or notepad is a beautiful or special journal that looks different than your other notepads.


  1. Create a Google Drive account. It’s free. Just open a Gmail email account, find Drive, and use that to write. You’ll be able to save your work, format, and either use it as is, or transfer it to another format, etc. Google Drive as word processing is great because as long as you have access to that email account, you can easily find your writing. No more lost thumb drives or lost files if your computer crashes. Any computer, anywhere, will have your writing.


  1. When you’re watching television, open your special writing journal and transcribe the contents into your new manuscripts.


Here’s what I do:


I have a gorgeous, small, hardcover journal into which I write various things, including manuscript content. That journal was purchased years ago. You probably have several beautiful journals already, you jst need to find them. Not all are easily portable. Luckily there are many available in bookstores, or even drug stores, that are lovely and affordable. Go window shopping sometime; you’ll enjoy it!

Manuscript content I write in a special colored ink. This way when I open the book, I can see my future books in that color of ink. I don’t drive, and use public transportation, which I love for many reasons, including the fact that I can read a lot and write some.

I date all entries, title them, make notes of various kinds.

Then, when I get home and am watching TV, I type those contents into my Google Drive.

I have a folder called “Manuscripts” and in that, a list of different titles of what I’m working on. I click on whatever manuscript titles that match my entries.

Happy writing!




Special thanks to:

Lee Lynch, prolific lesbian novelist and multi-genre writer, who introduced me to and suggested Google Drive (then “Documents”) as a word processor to write and save writing. I’m proud to be contributor to one of Lee’s books: The Butch Cook Book, edited by Lee Lynch, Nell Ward, and Sue Hardesty.

Doreen Virtue, whose various works, including I’d Change My Life If I Had More Time: A Practical Guide for Making Dreams Come True (book) and Healing Your Appetite, Healing Your Life: A Spiritual Approach to Life & Weight Management (audio live lecture), teach that we can accomplish our goals in “little chunks of time.”

The Laws & The Orders, Hallmark Movie Channel, Comedy Central, and especially Investigation Discovery for hours of entertainment as I fatten up my manuscripts!



-- 
Make yourself a beautiful day!

Cassendre Xavier
(aka Amethyste Rah, aka Amrita Waterfalls)
“renaissance negresse & ARTrepreneur”
(musician/writer/actress/fine artist)
Leeway Transformation Award-Winning founder & executive director of the Black Women’s Arts Festival (Est. 2003) and the Women's Writing & Spoken Word Series (Est. 2002). 

No comments:

Post a Comment